ARNICA. The healing flower.
In the mountainous region of the United Kingdom, a striking yellowing flower can sometimes be seen, which is Arnica montana. This plant has been used for a variety of ornamental and medicinal functions for hundreds of years. Unfortunately, due to changing climate and encroachment of populations, the amount of naturally growing Arnica montana is beginning to shrink. This is unfortunate, given that the health benefits of Arnica montana are so extensive and only fully being recognized and appreciated in recent decades. There are a number of beneficial compounds found in Arnica Montana, a mixture that gives the plant its powerful and well-known effects.
Today, arnica is extensively cultivated for medicinal purposes in several areas of Europe and North America. There are several species of arnica of which Arnica Montana and A. Chamissonis are used in anti-inflammatory preparations. Both species look similar except that A. Chamissonis has somewhat smaller flowers. It can be extremely toxic even in very low doses. Arnica Montana, on the other hand, possesses medicinal properties and is mostly used in herbal products
This plant and its valuable extracts are particularly favored by athletes and the elderly, given it specific health-promoting effects. Direct intake of arnica by mouth is associated with serious side effects but homeopathic medicines use it in a diluted form which is not considered harmful.
Beauty and Health BENEFITS of ARNICA.
1. Reduce Inflammation. This is the most common use of Arnica montana. When it comes to sports injuries or strains from exercising, applying Arnica montana on the source of the pain can work wonders. You can quickly see reduced swelling, due to the organic anti-inflammatory compounds of the plant, and you should soon feel a loosening of the muscles around the affected area. Arnica montana is one of the most frequently used herbs by athletes.
2. Pain Relief-Analgesic. The anti-inflammatory ability is one side of the coin, but there is also the issue of pain relief. For those suffering from arthritis or other inflammatory conditions, applying Arnica montana can quickly loosen those aching joints and reduce the swelling so that you can move easier and with less pain. Pharmaceutical like ibuprofen only cover inflammation, often leaving pain present, but Arnica montana naturally works as an analgesic as well, to relieve topical pain all over the body.
3. Internal Bleeding. The unique mixture of organic compounds inside Arnica montana also helps it heal broken blood vessels in various layers of the skin, thereby eliminating bruising and the unsightly appearance of burst blood vessels and age spots. Also, Topically rubbing arnica extracts, like with our Arnica homemade soap, reduces the appearance of pregnancy-related stretch marks. Use every day for noticeable results.
4. Acne and Skin Disorders. Arnica montana also has slight antimicrobial properties, which makes it very beneficial for people suffering from skin conditions, such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, and others. The inflammatory quality, combined with the antioxidant activity against whatever is causing the condition makes Arnica montana popular with people who frequently suffer itchy, inflamed skin rashes, which can often be athletes with their gear.
5. Moisturize the Skin.
Although you don’t want to apply pure Arnica montana extract all over your skin, it can be mixed in with carrier oils like our BLWEessences homemade soaps to form an effective treatment for dry skin. This moisturizing agent is also important for hair health, as it can significantly protect against dandruff.
6. Skin Nourishment. Arnica Montana flowers contain sesquiterpene lactones, flavonoids, carbonic acid, coumarins and volatile oils, all of which are beneficial for your skin. A sesquiterpene lactone, called helenalin, is the main restorative compound in Arnica Montana, which along with flavonoid, helps soothe and renew the skin after exposure to stress. The antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of this herb help in preventing inflammatory skin disorders. They also accelerate the healing process by stimulating the formation of granular tissues. Arnica for skin care can effectively heal bruises, sunburns, minor burns and superficial phlebitis.
7. Stimulates hair growth and prevent hair loss. If you want to strengthen your hair follicles and prevent hair loss, adding Arnica montana extract to soaps like the BLWEessences homemade soaps and shampoos can significantly help. The rich nutrients bind to the hair and keep it looking younger for longer. In some cases, Arnica montana can even stimulate the growth of new hair, adding to your volume and youth.
8. Treatment of Dandruff. Arnica cleanses the excess oil and sebum from the scalp, giving it a natural shine. By removing dirt, debris, and oil from the scalp, it also helps combat dandruff and itchiness. This also helps in preventing tangled and rough hair.
9. Treatment of Split Ends and Premature Graying of Hair. Being an antibiotic, it can effectively cure scalp infections. It strengthens each and every hair strand and helps prevent split ends and premature graying of hair. All you need to do is massage your scalp from the roots to the tips with a BLWEessences Arnica homemade soap, leave for 1 to 3 min and rinse. This will nourish your hair and prevent these problems by providing the requisite nutrition to your hair follicles.
A Final Word of Warning.
As mentioned above, Arnica Montana is not intended for oral consumption and can be quite toxic if consumed. However, if a trained herbalist has a homeopathic herbal supplement that can be safely consumed, whereas the topical application of this herbal booster is the proven method but is recommended to use in very low concentrations.
References: organicfacts.net, stylecrazy.com
Check out our SUPERNATURALS collection, try our Arnica homemade soap and give your skin a sigh of relief with this wonderful healing ingredient.
Find more interesting articles in our Blog!